making stack self contained - auto import images?

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Sep 2 12:00:02 EDT 2003

Hello Rodney,

> Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 17:59:56 +1200
> Subject: making stack self contained - auto import images?
> From: Rodney Tamblyn <rodneytamblyn at paradise.net.nz>
>
> For example: create stack 1, import image, make a button and set it's
> icon to the image
> create stack 2, copy button from stack 1.  Button will display with
> image (as image is available in stack 1).  Is there a standard way to
> make this stack self contained importing the image button requires?
----------
If stack 1 is open, then yes, you can copy and paste the button into stack 2
and it will appear with the icon, because it is getting it from stack 1
(only because it is open and in memory). But if you went to the trouble

If you close and remove stack 1, the icon stays on the copied button in
stack 2, but that's just a temporary screen image. Perhaps, as a minimum,
the engine should make it disappear to let you know the icon image is no
longer available, or, at best, the copied button should take the image with
it, i.e., import it as a property of the button (this is what should really
happen IMHO), but that doesn't happen. However, the image is really no
longer available for the icon because it isn't in stack 2. If you close and
remove stack 2, then reopen it, the icon will be gone. Does this match your
observations?

There are several approaches, but the right one depends on how you use your
stacks. My first question back to you is: What did you do with the imported
image you used as an image for the button icon in stack 1? If you imported
it from the menu, then it was imported as a control, you know. If it isn't
onscreen, and I assume it's not, then where is it?

1) So there's the first approach. You can make a substack which contains all
the imported images you will use as icons. You can batch import...follow the
Dev Guide.

2) The other major approach is to keep all your images as separate files and
call them as needed. You may want to keep them in the folder with the stacks
that need them for easy access.

HTH,
Ken N.