The Directory Walker revisited

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Sep 1 19:11:01 EDT 2003

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 04:45 AM, wouter wrote:

> Upon examining the nice (recursive) directory walking script:
> But I watched it bump into the recursion-limit wall.

 From the Transcript Dictionary Entry:

> By default, the recursionLimit property is set to 1000000.

I assume values, context, and most things are not on the stack but are
pointed to by internal values on the stack.  I could very well be
wrong.  I would be surprised if a stack entry was 100 bytes but I would
think it would be under 1K.  That means a depth limit of 1000 calls.
This is all speculation.  Testing is left for the curious.

Now directories nested 1000 deep seems unusual.

Perhaps this is running into a first-rest nesting as well.  (I haven't
looked at the latest of the script.)  Even so, that does seem strange.

Dar Scott