MIDI volume (Re: mciSendString for volume)

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Oct 31 19:11:46 EST 2003

On Friday, October 31, 2003, at 11:42 AM, curry wrote:

>> Wild guesses to try:
>>
>> mci "setaudio mid volume to 30"
>> mci "set mid volume to .3"
>>
>> midiOutSetVolume
>
> Hey Dar, thanks for those guesses!
>
> I tried all kind of stuff with MCI but got absolutely nowhere. I'm not
> sure if volume is supported for MIDI by that route or not.

More guesses.  Thanks for your patience.

I am guessing that since midi might go to an external synthesizer or to
a software synthesizer, the volume is considered out of the realm of
MCI.  Why the internal synthesizer is not considered an input to some
mixer, I don't know.  (Hmmm.  Look for a mixer?)

You might be able to adjust volume by stuffing midi commands down the
line.  Maybe you can "play" the volume control file just before the
music file.  This is awful for the general case, but as far as I know,
it just might fit yours.

I haven't touched midi in years and have not use the Revolution midi
library.  I think I knew something about midi long, long ago.

Dar Scott