quote in a string literal?

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Oct 29 16:51:58 EST 2003

On Wednesday, October 29, 2003, at 02:12 PM, Alex Rice wrote:

> Is true that one cannot define a constant string with quotes in it?
> something like
>
> constant commandString = "%s -b -v -xzy \"%s\"" -- error

That seems to be the case.

However, the context of format() allows such a literal.  There might be
other contexts that allow it, but I don't know what they are.

If and when constant expressions are evaluated and simplified at
compile time, then maybe this will be allowed:

    constant commandString = format("\%s -b -v -xyz \\\"\%s\\\"")

That looks a little ugly, though.

Dar Scott