Panther Install Question

Joel Rees joel at alpsgiken.gr.jp
Tue Oct 28 21:42:13 EST 2003

> Hi Folks,
>
> I have installed OS X 10.3 on a newly formatted drive and am trying to
> use security properly (i.e. my account is a "normal" account and I have
> a separate "admin" account).
>
> I installed Rev 2.1 using the "admin" account and my personal account
> had no access to it.  I changed that by going into "Get Info" on the
> Rev folder using the admin account and setting the correct permissions.
>   I also cascaded those permissions down to subfiles within the folder.
>
> I can now get Rev to start but I immediately get the following message:
>
> There was an error saving your licensing key.  Check file permissions.
> can't open stack backup file
>
> Obviously, I did not set the permissions as well as I thought I did.
> Can anyone give me the correct way to do this?

Well, that's certainly further than I got with 10.2.

One thing I have done is install Rev on a non-boot volume. (10.3 may
have tightened up permissions on non-boot volumes?) Another is to simply
install Rev in ~/bin (or whatever) for each user account where I need
access. Not very disk efficient, but only user accounts owned by the
license holder will need it.

--
Joel Rees, programmer, Systems Group
Altech Corporation (Alpsgiken), Osaka, Japan