DB Write

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Tue Oct 28 11:07:24 EST 2003

On 10/27/03 11:29 AM, Ed McCabe wrote:

> I cant tell you which type XFCN it is - but when activated it does produce
> its own word processor-like window.

In that case, Rev can't use it. It is a type-2 external. I think you are
stuck writing your own mail merge in Transcript.

I've done this quite a lot though, and it isn't all that hard. Basically
I take the boilerplate text and, wherever an insertion is to occur, I
put a placeholder into the text. So you have boilerplate that looks
something like this:

   Dear **name**,
     Thanks for the opportunity to work with **company**.

Then a script cycles through all the cards and replaces each placeholder
with the appropriate text from the card:

  repeat with x = 1 to the number of cds
   put myBoilerplate into theText -- make a copy in a variable
   replace "**name**" with fld "name" of card x in theText
   replace "**company**" with fld "company" of cd x in theText
   -- save file, or print here
  end repeat

It's fast.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com