newsgroup vs. mailing list

Robert Brenstein rjb at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Mon Oct 27 18:11:55 EST 2003

>Check out <http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html>
>
>That algorithm uses the Subject:, In-reply-to: and References:
>headers.  A number of mail clients use this algorithm and it's being
>proposed as an extension of the IMAP protocol, so it must be pretty
>good :-)
>
>Basically the idea is that you can deduce more about message
>threading by looking at the various message headers than just
>looking at the Subject header alone. Some mail clients do it well,
>some not so well.
>
>Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software | <http://mindlube.com>

Yes, the in-reply-to and references headers are needed to establish
parent-child relations but subject selection must be applied first.
Eudora (at least pre-6) shows a single-level list, so these relations
are not visible anyway. This is why I wrote 'grouping' not
'threading'. For most lists, I find this quite sufficient. Others may
be more demanding :)

Robert