Playing large sound files

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Oct 22 10:00:10 EDT 2003

Hi Graham,

> Am Mittwoch, 22.10.03 um 15:31 Uhr schrieb Graham Samuel:
>>
>> When using "players" you can also play more than 1 sound
>> simultaniously
>> without QT!
>> Only "play ac xyz" is limited to 1 sound at a time...
>
> I don't quite understand this. Are you just using the plural of
> "player"

yes, sorry for the misleading quotes...

> or are you saying that there's another command "players"?

No.

> I suppose because I've only used players to activate QT movies and
> sounds, then I thought you couldn't have a player without invoking QT -
> the docs really don't explain anything about the relationship between
> QT
> and the player object.

 From the dox about "player objects":

"Use the player object type to display a movie or sound from a separate
file"

No word about QuickTime and that is correct ;-)

If QuickTime is present on the target machine, RR will use QT as the
"default"
mulitmedia-engine...

If not present or if you "set the dontuseqt to true" RR will use
whatever multimedia-layer
is at hand... Means WMP on windows...

(If QT is not present on a Mac, then it is probably not a Mac ;-)

> Certainly simultaneous audio doesn't work using just 'play':

Thats true!

> I've just written an experimental stack with two buttons each of which
> has a statement of the form
>  play audioClip "mySoundn"
> (obviously with a different clip in each button), and when you start
> the second sound it just stops
> the first one and then plays itself.

Yes, sad but true...

> Am I missing a more complete description of what players are in the
> docs, other than the
> one you get by looking up 'player' in the TD?

The documentation just uses the a general description, but you are
right, in the menu

Edit -> New Referenced Control -> QuickTime Supported file ##!!!

IS definitively misleading and not correct!

As Jeanne would say: bugzilla food ;-)

> Graham

Regards

Klaus Major