JDBC instead of ODBC

Pierre Sahores psahores at easynet.fr
Sun Oct 5 14:27:01 EDT 2003

Le dim 05/10/2003 à 18:56, Júlio César Ködel a écrit :
> The problem is (for Firebird):
> Firebird is, in my opinion, the best database engine, after Microsoft SQL
> and MySQL.

I would for my own say : before them and many others alike, Sybase ASE
12.5 or IBM DB2, and along the other best ACID compliant SQL server
available for free : the usefull and unbreakable PostgreSQL...

> BUT, there only source code for direct access in Linux and
> Windows (nobody likes mac =( ). Even if ODBC would be a TRUE reality on all
> plataforms, we'd need a ODBC driver for Firebird, wich exists only for
> Windows (there is plans for a Linux one, but it's not available yet). For
> Macintosh, Firebird is nothing. (Those who program in Windows environment
> know what is Borland and Interbase, are "strong names" on our plataform, and
> Firebird is the continuation, the evolution, of Interbase).
> So, we need not only ODBC, but the drivers for ODBC also (that's why I
> insist that would be A LOT simple, faster, clean and easier, to make a
> native driver for Firebird/Interbase). After MySQL, Valentine, PostgreSQL
> and Firebird, what more could we want??? Access and MSSQL Server? (This
> could be true to Macs and Windows, but I doubt about someone in Linux make
> some Microsoft thing, he he he)

Bien cordialement, Pierre Sahores

100, rue de Paris
F - 77140 Nemours

GSM:   +33 6 03 95 77 70
Pro:   +33 1 41 60 52 68
Dom:   +33 1 64 45 05 33
Fax:   +33 1 64 45 05 33

Inspection académique de Seine-Saint-Denis
Applications et SGBD ACID SQL (WEB et PGI)
Penser et produire "delta de rentabilité"