Decompress cross platform

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Fri Oct 3 15:32:00 EDT 2003

On Friday, October 3, 2003, at 01:14 PM, J. Landman Gay wrote:

> I don't want to maintain separate stacks for each platform. Any idea
> how to get around this problem? I thought compression was supposed to
> work the same way on all plaforms.

Me, too.

There is a decompression bug for OS X & Revolution 2.1, but this does
not seem to be it.  Or is it?  That bug is fixed and the fix will be in
an upcoming release.

Revolution compression uses a gzip style compression that is the same
as that (the best I can tell) in RFC1952.  The decompression does not
check the CRC, so it can't be compliant.  In my opinion, it should
_not_ check the CRC in decompression.  I would expect this to work
across platforms.  IIRC, the OS X bug is a type bug and those might
make differences across platforms.

Do you have a small example that does not work the same across
platforms.

Dar Scott