Mac OSX standalone voice record problem

Dan Soneson sonesond1 at southernct.edu
Fri Oct 3 07:17:00 EDT 2003

Hi everyone,

I am once again trying to get a voice recording application to work
appropriately in an OSX standalone. I develop on a G4 dual 1.42 Ghz,
Rev 2.02, OSX 10.2.6 and deploy on both 700Mzh G4 eMacs and 500Mhz G3
iBooks, same OS. In the development environment, everything works just
fine. However, when I build a standalone and try to record through an
attached microphone (plantronics Audio 90 with Griffin iMic), the
recording tends to be truncated and jumbled up. In other words, if I
were to say "1,2,3,4,5" I might get "3,4,2" as a result -- very
strange. Also, I have noticed a tendency to limit the recording file to
about 4 seconds total.

Several months ago I thought I had licked the problem by making
absolutely sure the recorded file was located outside the application
package. This workaround now seems to have no effect. The frustrating
part is that we might occasionally get a perfectly normal recording,
but the next time we try, we get the jumbled up results again. It just
doesn't seem to be consistent.

We intend to deploy a recording application in our language lab, so
that students may record their voices and the files can be saved so
that instructors can hear the students' output. Occasionally, the
program can be used for oral testing. However, if the recording is
unstable at all, the program is useless.

I have checked the bugzilla database, but have been able to find
anything regarding this problem there. Before I post it on bugzilla, I
wonder if anyone out there has found a consistent solution to the
problem.

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel B. Soneson