QuickTime, text fields, closed captioning

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Wed Oct 1 17:38:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 12:04  PM, Toma Tasovac wrote:

> Is it possible to have a transparent text field on top of a quicktime
> movie, the way we can put a text field layer over an image?  if not --
> is there any way in revolution to fake closed captioning?  (i know i
> can do this in, say, LiveStage Pro, but I want to implement closed
> captioning in such a way that the user can stop the movie at any
> frame, and click on any words in the subtitle -- which Revolution
> should then take care of, translate etc...

Some others have mentioned the alwaysBuffer property.  You can also use
LiveStage and accomplish what you want.  If you have access to
Livestage Pro you can create the captioning in text tracks (LSP has a
Media Synchronizer that might help) and then create links that within
the text that call the DebugStr function.  Revolution can trap DebugStr
(QTDebugStr player message) messages from a QT movie and respond
accordingly.  I use this with QTVR and it works great.

Keeping the captioning with the movie can be beneficial if you end up
deploying the movie on the web as well.

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia