Beginning Valentina Question

Trevor DeVore lists at mangomultimedia.com
Fri Nov 28 23:58:59 EST 2003

On Nov 28, 2003, at 9:30 PM, Dan Shafer wrote:

> I've searched the docs and all the third-party sites and I cannot find
> the answer to this one. Yet, I'm sure it is lying around the ground
> and obvious.
>
> What are the default login name and password for a Valentina database
> from Rev?
>
> (Tentative conclusion: Valentina doesn't require a login user name and
> password in the VXCMD version because it's local.)

You only need to use the valentinaMacSerial or valentinaWindowsSerial
fields.  Not username or password.  So you might connect with something
like this:

get revOpenDatabase ("Valentina",,"mydb.vdb", , , ,MYMacSerial)

If you leave the serial number empty then you can use Valentina for 10
minutes before it times out.

> OK, then why when I try to work with the Software DB Demo.rev stack in
> Rev 2.1.2 with OS X 10.3.1, do I get an empty error dialog on launch
> and every time I try to do anything like add a new item to the table?
> Literally nothing works. I've tried reading the Valentina docs (all
> three of the PDFs), all of the DB stuff in the Rev online help. I'm
> documented out. Where is this simple stuff located?

I'm not sure about the software db demo stack as I haven't used it.
One thing to watch out for with Valentina and the revDB interface is
that you cannot update Text fields without corrupting the database due
to a bug.  You need to update Text fields within the Valentina app
itself or connect using the Valentina XCMD directly (not the revDB
interface).

--
Trevor DeVore
Blue Mango Multimedia