Understanding Aqua Windows

Jan Schenkel janschenkel at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 15:47:12 EST 2003

--- David Egbert <degbert at mac.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to understand why a stack in Rev has a
> white background in MacOS
> 10.1 - 10.2. Most of the apps I've seen for MacOS X
> have those tiny white
> and grey horizontal lines as a background for the
> main window.  Even
> Interface Builder creates windows with lines
> included.
>
> The last time I had a question about this, list
> members suggested setting
> the background to a png file with the lines.  Now
> that Panther is out, I'll
> need to create another kludge to fix the appearance
> in Panther. I really
> don't like where this is heading, but I want my apps
> to look and feel like a
> real MacOS X app.
>
> Is there an important reason why the lines are
> omitted?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Dave Egbert

Hi Dave,

The Aqua Human Interface Guidelines dictate that the
background of 'documents' is white, and that dialog
boxes and palettes are striped.
If your project isn't document-oriented, you can get
the stripes in a stack by setting its backgroundColor
property to false.
However, as I don't have a Pantherised machine around,
I can't check if this gets you the right look for
MacOS X v10.3

Best regards,

Jan Schenkel.

=====