sorting this into a database

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Thu Nov 27 18:52:53 EST 2003

Hi Bob,

I did a similar thing many years ago in HyperCard so I know it can be
done (& done much easier in Revolution). Here are a few ideas:

1. As a starting point, instead of using an external database, I would
recommend a data stack with one card per record. Set up the fields to
hold each data field, group them and set the group's background
behavior to true. That way the grouped objects will appear on every new
card.

2. You can then have a separate stack (probably the main stack) that
handles the imports and allows searching and displaying selected
records. Check out the "mark" command for a good way to gather a
collection of data cards for printing or display.

3. You will need a different import routine for each source. I too was
importing from various scientific journals and although they all had
pretty much the same types of data, the fields were arranged and
formatted differently. Some used length e.g. the first 50 characters
some the title, then 51 - 100 = author etc.

Once you have that all working, if you have more than a couple of
thousand records it may become too slow. In that case, you could then
consider migrating it to an external database like Valentina or MySQL,
but when you are only learning Revolution, I would keep things simple
at first. And don't forget to ask if you get stuck :-)

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au
http://www.troz.net/Rev/