HLP: Saving content of fields in a standalone

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Mon Nov 24 18:33:11 EST 2003

On 24 Nov 2003, at 6:50 pm, Thierry Olive wrote:
> I've built a standalone (for Mac OS X) with editable fields. Users can
> add information in these fields.
> How can I save the new content of these fields so that when the
> standalone is reopened this new text is still visible to other users?
> is there aonther solution than saving  the content in a text file and
> then retrieving it. Is there a possiblity to save this text without
> using an external file?
> Thanks for any help.

The short answer is No - there is no way to save data without using an
external file of some sort. The external file can be a text file or it
can be a stack that is stored as a separate file rather than being
built into your application. In OS X this still looks neat as you can
hide the data stack inside the OS X bundle.

A common way to achieve this is to make a splash-screen application
where the mainStack is just a splash screen or static display and all
data is entered on sub-stacks. When building, check the option to save
sub-stacks separately and they will remain as separate files which can
be saved to store any new data. The actual application (the mainStack
and the Rev engine) is read-only so no changes can ever be saved to it.

The only thing to be wary of is that if the data is crucial, it should
perhaps be stored in the user's documents folder rather than with the
application. If it is preference data, it should be stored in the
Preferences folder. The user should be able to delete the application
and re-install without losing data!

Cheers,
Sarah
sarahr at genesearch.com.au