Database - functionality for front end application

Melvin Cox melcox at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 21 02:54:13 EST 2003

Jan:

I have successfully implemented each of your suggestions.

The only change I have made is in the script of the field "Affilitation"
(all caps, length limited to 10 characters).

The closeField handler will not work when the script includes the keyDown
and Capitalize handlers.  The Capitalize handler changes the field's
contents using a put statement.

I have therefore substituted an exitField handler and used an if statement
and a local variable to compare the field's current value to the value of
the field at the time an openField handler was triggered.

My script liike like:

--declare a local variable 'saved'

local saved

--place the current value of the affiliation field into the 'saved' variable

on openField
  put field "affiliation" into saved
end openField

--when leaving the affiliation field, compare current value to the 'saved'
value
--if value has changed, trigger updates to the Company Name and Last Update
fields

on exitField
  if field "affiliation" <> saved
  then
    UpdateCompanyName
    closeField
  else
    pass exitField
  end if
end exitField

--limit field to 10 characters and insure capitalization

on keyDown pWhichKey
  if the length of me >= 10 then beep
  else
    send "Capitalize" to me in 5 milliseconds
    pass keyDown
  end if
end keyDown

on Capitalize
  put the selectedChunk of me into tChunk
  put upper(me) into me
  select tChunk
end Capitalize

Many thanks for pointing the way forward!

Cheers,

Melvin Cox