Unicode revisited, this time with htmlText

Klaus Major klaus at major-k.de
Wed Nov 19 16:00:37 EST 2003

Hi Alex,

> On Nov 19, 2003, at 11:44 AM, tuviah snyder wrote:
>
>> Right and the htmltext will also be displayable in all browsers.
>
> Everyone, I was recently puzzling over trying to display html in a
> field. The file I'm trying to display is some English text, XHTML,
> UTF-8 encoding. What steps would I take? I would have to charToNum and
> make html char entities for every char in the document?
>
> Since Rev's preferred unicode format is UTF-8,

Who told you so or where did you read this?

The dox are quite "neutral" about this ;-)

> I was expecting I could just put the file into the htmlText of the
> field, but alas I tried it and it looks like Japanese Kanji or
> something.

Try saving with UTF16 encoding, work here for me (with TextEdit on OS
X)...

In my experience UTF8 ALWAYS produces extremely "eastern" characters ;-)
when setting the htmltext of flield to that file...

Important hint -> use BINFILE:
set the htmltext of fld x to url"BINFILE:yadda.txt"

Hope that helps...

> Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
> <http://mindlube.com>

Regards