Save in Standalone

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Mon Nov 17 14:38:33 EST 2003

On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 10:54:14 -0800, Roger Guay <rogerguay at centurytel.net>
wrote:

>I'm sorry for being a bit slow on this, Graham, but I'm missing some
>basic understanding:  If I use a substack as a data file,  doesn't that
>require that the user have Revolution installed?  Otherwise they are
>necessarily standalones and therefor can't save data.  Isn't that
>right?

No, it's your program (standalone) that will be reading the data stack, and
of course your program **does** contain Revolution, in the sense that the
'engine' that runs your script is present within the distribution you've
created. So all the functionality required to manipulate stacks is in fact
delivered to your user, packaged up in your standalone. All you need to do
is to make sure that the stack file containing the data is separated from
the stack(s) that get included in the standalone by being processed by
RunRev's Distribution Builder. This can be done in two ways - the
standalone itself can create a new stack by cloning and save that (see my
earlier message), or you can create the extra stack file yourself during
the development process, save it separately from your application stacks,
and **not** include it in the stacks processed by the Distribution Builder.

If this isn't clear, don't hesitate to ask again. I'm sure I could cook up
an example, or there may already be one somewhere on the RunRev web site.

If anyone else is reading this, I'd like to know from a real expert if one
can create a new stack from scratch by scripting - I don't see how myself,
I think it has to be done by cloning a template.

HTH

Graham