Help with AppleEvents

Paul Stary paul at starytech.com
Fri Nov 14 04:31:12 EST 2003

What is up with this?

I have spent the day trying to figure out why the following statement
works in SuperCard but NOT Revolution. I want to communicate with
SuperCard on a remote Mac named "Remote Mac". SuperCard is running on
that Mac. I execute the following statement from Revolution on my
local Mac:

send beep to program "Remote Mac:SuperCard" without reply

The result in Revolution is "no such program". If I run SuperCard on
the SAME machine and execute this very same statement , the remote
Mac beeps. If I issue the following statement from Revolution with
SuperCard running on the local machine, I get a beep:

send beep to program "SuperCard" without reply

If I optionally add the name of the local machine to the Rev
statement above, the result is once again, "no such program". If I
send the beep command to Rev from SuperCard on the local machine,
using the optional name of the local machine does not cause a problem
and Rev beeps. Seems like Rev 2.1 has an error in parsing the
computer name in the program address. Is this possible?

I have no problem sending the beep command TO Revolution on the local
Mac FROM SuperCard on the Remote Mac.

When I issue the statement:

do "choose application" as AppleScript

... I get the expected dialog showing Remote Mac as one of the listed
machines and SuperCard as one of the listed programs running on it. I
have tried using the asterisk for the zone, "*:Remote Mac:SuperCard",
but still results in "no such program".

This is sooooo basic, what am I missing?

--

Paul Stary
Audio-Video Engineering