Questions about experiences

Graham Samuel graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 11 17:49:26 EST 2003

On Monday, November 10, 2003 4:24 PM, Björnke von Gierke
[mailto:bvg at mac.com] wrote:

>Hello,
>I am in the process of writing an article about runrev, and would like
>to ask you about two things:
>
>Did you experience that you wanted to make a project, but where unable
>to do it with runrev? For example because a technology was not
>supported, not fast enough or because it was otherwise not up to the
>task.

Well, I am a great fan of RunRev but I have been frustrated by one or two
bugs (or apparent bugs) which I have not yet found workarounds for. I had
some difficulty with simple QuickTime movies which didn't perform quite as
I expected. I abandoned these for animated GIFs and have had some
difficulty with them too. I guess what I'm saying is that RunRev will
theoretically do everything I've ever wanted to do, but in practical terms
sometimes it's hard to get everything to work.

I am also very sympathetic to Richard Gaskin's remarks about printing, and
have my own specific grumbles. I find it extraordinary that I still can't
know exactly what the printable area is for the combination of printer and
media that the user has chosen (I'm not talking about the page size, but
about the margins of the area within the page where the printing engine can
actually make a mark). I had to abandon part of a development because of
this limitation, and the workaround doesn't look so good to the user as I
would like. Imagine any form of printout where you could allow the user to
set margins but wouldn't be able to issue a warning if the printing would
be clipped. (When I grumbled about this some time ago, Scott Raney
intervened to say that it wasn't possible to provide this info on all
platforms. I still can't understand how this can be so when other apps seem
to be able to get this information readily).

>DId you realise any projects that you did not think that it would be
>possible to do with runrev?

Not so far - but I am very impressed with the range of capabilities
offered, so I expect to be surprised in the future.

Finally, I would like to say that I cannot see any alternative at all for
cross-platform development for someone like me (programming background
going back a long way but the only acquaintance with development on modern
OSs being through X-talk). So I couldn't do ANY projects which need to be
delivered on both Mac and Windows if it wasn't for RunRev.

Graham