Questions about experiences

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Mon Nov 10 18:59:08 EST 2003

On Nov 10, 2003, at 4:39 PM, Björnke von Gierke wrote:

>> How about the opposite? Runrev enables you to develop what would be
>> difficult or impossible with other tools. (raises hand)
>
> Well, i was hoping for some more details :)
> What particular case are you thinking about?

OK- I thought you were just looking for the negative experiences. :-)

The Facility Calculator I'm working on for ARC, Inc. makes Rev seem
like the ideal tool. Some of the project requirements are:

-- many screens; approx. 100
-- ever-changing requirements (means RAD environment is a must)
-- easy to install (single file executables)
-- run and test on Win32 and Mac OS X,
-- utilize an external C library (CLIPS)
-- responsive performance of standalone
-- printing report
-- printing screen shots

Although it has been rocky at times with all the IDE and engine bugs,
overall Rev makes me a lot more productive than any other tool that
exists- that I know of.

That there is no compilation step: that just switch from Browse to
Pointer tools, and develop and test as we go- this is a huge bonus. I
can sit down with my coworkers and make changes to screens, and they
can see immediately how it will look and how it behaves.

When my boss says "We need to add screens XYZ to models FGH, and remove
screens ABC from models JKL"- I don't sweat it. Making screens and
scripts is *fast* and I can spend most of my time figuring out how to
implement the business logic, which is really the only technically
challenging part of this project, thanks to Rev.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
<http://ARCplanning.com>