Window Resizing Head-scratcher...

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Nov 10 12:54:57 EST 2003

Thomas J McGrath III wrote:

> Although I 'was' trying to make room for the menus and dock I still had
> the same problem when resizing my own screen from the 1024x down to
> 800x. I tried hiding the menus etc. and still had the same problem you
> found. So the underlying issue was the same.
> I also noticed it only affected the main window (no. 2 below) and not
> substacks and that it was only a Mac OSX issue. I would consider that a
> 'bug' in my opinion.
> I will try your work around and see if that fixes it here.
>
> Did you play around with the "Try setting the windowBoundingRect to the
> screenRect" as was suggested? I did and did not see the expected
> results at all... I think that is for something different.

I'm not sure what's causing your specific issue, but I know how to avoid it:
If you design your app's windows to be no larger than the NET available size
on the target monitor (minus menu bar, start bar/Dock, window trimmings,
etc.)  the stack will not resize.  At least, not in my experience.

This may be related to a memory efficiency which would be afforded if the
engine allotted only the net size to a window's offscreen buffer; I'm just
guessing here, but that might explain why explicitely resizing the stack
beyond the visible bounds seems to force an adequate buffering.

--
 Richard Gaskin
 Fourth World Media Corporation