semit OT : networking old Macs - how to ?

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Thu Nov 6 15:36:45 EST 2003

Hi again,

I got so many answers to my first post that I thought that
describing my project publicly would avoid to run 15
individual discussions simultaneously...
Furthermore, as it has some relationship with Rev (see
below), it's not 100% off-topic after all... So if you think
your answer can be of general interest, then send it to the
list; otherwise please reply off-list.

------------

My project is to recycle old Nubus Macs (IIfx, quadras and
early PPCs - number : 3 to 10) by setting up some kind of
cluster, and use the processing power for various distributed
tasks such as 3D rendering with NetRenderman, but also
custom apps that could be developped with MC/Rev.
I won't describe the kind of apps (this isn't clear yet), but
some would involve musical projects using Nubus sound
cards such as SampleCell...

Yes, I know what some list members are already thinking :
some of these tasks can be done with only 1 of the most
recent Macs. But the latest (and expensive) machines can be
better used for more productive (and lucrative) tasks than
weird experiments...

Anyway. Now the questions : having a long experience on
Mac, I know how to network them with LocalTalk. But for
this kind of setup, ethernet looks like a better option. Last but
not least, I'd like to use the central units only.
Those would run MacOS 7.5 to 8.1

1) I've been thinking of setting up Ethernet connections using old
Ethernet cards (that can be found for almost nothing these days
on eBay and other websites). Of course that would waste 1 Nubus
slot on each machine, but I guess I have no other option...
I'm also wondering which drivers I should use, where to download
them (I guess the Apple website features everything I need)
and possible compatibility problems...

2) I'd like to be able to manage the whole cluster from only
1 kbd / mouse / monitor. Years ago I used to run Timbuktu to
control remote machines, but I guess that other cheaper / freeware
solutions exist now...
Perhaps could I build a front end with Rev...

3) as for of custom apps made with MC/Rev, one copy would
run on each machine, but they should be able to exchange messages
and/or raw data between each other. I guess Apple Events are the
most obvious option, but are sockets also possible ?

4) MIDI is also on my list of options. I know how to setup MIDI
between various hardware, but I'm not too sure how it can be
mixed with ethernet... I have the feeling I could bypass MIDI and
exchange raw data through ethernet...

I found some valuable suggestions on this site :
http://njcc.com/~hjohnson/mac.html
but would apreciate any other suggestion, if anyone has some
experience in that field...

Thanks a bunch,
JB