Animation with Sliding or Walking figures

Scott Rossi scott at tactilemedia.com
Thu Nov 6 01:20:05 EST 2003

On 11/5/03 6:48 PM, "Alejandro Tejada" <capellan2000 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I uploaded a file to my website, that shows
> an animated walking figure.
>
> I'm trying to simulate that this figure is
> moving on the space, but my best results
> just shows a sliding effect.
>
> If you could help with a solution, download
> the file

On a Mac laptop with a slowish video card, 20 to 25 looks fair to me.

But the real solution is not speed -- it is one of stopping the forward
sliding motion when a foot is "planted" on the "ground".  The body should
propel itself forward with a foot fixed in place so the constant motion you
are attempting to use is not going to create natural looking motion.

I posted a variation of your stack that illustrates how it could work.
Enter the following in your message box:

  go stack url "http://www.tactilemedia.com/download/walkingman_new.rev"

This should provide more natural looking motion.  You can adjust the walking
speed of the figure by changing the number of milliseconds used in the send
(repeat) loop.

How it was done: basically I looked at how the figure changes the position
of its feet and determined a number of pixels to move for each step.  As the
script loops, it repositions the image a set number of pixels based on the
currentFrame of the animation.

(Sidebar: note the arm swings are technically reversed.  The natural motion
of the human body is to swing forward the arm that is opposite of the leg
currently moving forward.)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Scott Rossi