Making Windows application icons on Mac

Alex Rice alex at mindlube.com
Tue Nov 4 01:50:43 EST 2003

On Nov 3, 2003, at 10:53 PM, Paul Stary wrote:

> Alex & Mark,
>
> I checked the length of the successful Windows icon file built by
> BMPtoICO and Resorcerer reports the data fork as exactly 744. Norton
> Disk Editor also showed 744 bytes.
>
> Are you using a file editor to check the size? Desktop info may not
> report the actual file size but rather the block size required to
> store the file.

No my .ico file is 766 bytes as reported by

-- Get Info on Mac OS (HFS filesystem)
-- ls -l (HFS filesystem/ OS X)
-- ls -l (UFS filesystem/ FreeBSD)
-- Properties dialog of Windows 2000 Explorer (NTFS filesystem)
etc.

I don't have Resorcer or Norton Disk Editor but don't know why they are
reporting a different size for you. I guess Windows icons come in a
variety of lengths & sometimes 744 works and sometimes 766 works.

Alex Rice <alex at mindlube.com> | Mindlube Software |
<http://mindlube.com>