some "numeric" questions

Jacques Hausser Jacques.Hausser at ie-zea.unil.ch
Mon Nov 3 11:39:47 EST 2003

Hello everybody

Sorry for asking such naive questions.

Does some of you know a trick to easily calculate with dates being far
away in the past and the future ? If they are converted into seconds,
one is limited to a century, coarsely from 1935 to 2037...

I would also like to find a clear explanation about how the "string
numbers" are converted internally for computation in Revolution. I read
old discussions in the archives, but I'm still in the mist . What is
(are) the exact binary format(s) ? And how does Revolution decides
which one to use if we do not coerce the number with a ^1 or a round
function or sometihing like that ?

Last but not least: which RNG is used behind the random function ? Some
are said to be good, most are worse, and some are reputedly mere
catastrophes...

Many thanks in advance

Jacques

PS: I like this list with its sudden bursts of dramatic tension... it's
just a pity I have so few time to read it!

*                  new address                      *
Prof. J. Hausser
Department of Ecology and Evolution
Biology Building
University of Lausanne