Table object manipulation

Alex Rice alrice at ARCplanning.com
Thu May 29 18:38:00 EDT 2003

On Thursday, May 29, 2003, at 04:04  PM, Barry Levine wrote:

> Alex,
>
> So, if I understand you correctly, I have to manually implement
> complete control by checking not only for rawKeyDown events but,
> probably, also for mouseClicks beyond the last field? Forgive me for
> complaining (not to you) but wouldn't it have been more
> straightforward simply to have properties that could be set
> programmatically (or in the properties dialog)? Seems like this object
> is really not ready for use.

Depends! It's certainly not a complete "grid" type of widget one might
find in Visual Basic or Java something. This "table" control is just a
field, with the added ability to 1) edit at a tab stop, and to 2) apply
formatting per each column. That's pretty useful... but there is tons
of room for additional features.

I would like to see sample code for limiting the user input to some
number of rows & columns, like you asked about. I haven't played around
with it yet, so if anyone has had success...

I would also like to know if there is a way to add to the list of cell
formatters. The standard in set of formatters is very limited. I would
like to be able to add an function to that list of cell formatters to
do additional formatting based on the content of the cell. Things like
alignment, number formatting, font face, etc. The "Using" field allows
a type-in string, but then doesn't save it. I was hoping that could
just be the name of my function handler.

Are the built in formatters documented? I can't figure out what's
expected to go into the "With" field after you select from the "Using"
pulldown of formatters.

Alex Rice, Software Developer
alrice at ARCplanning.com
alrice at swcp.com