Building Mac Standalones from Windows

Graham graham.samuel at wanadoo.fr
Sat May 24 06:34:00 EDT 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003 16:48:12 -0700, Bill Vlahos <bvlahos at mac.com> wrote:

>The installed base of pre-OS X Macs is huge. However, the majority of
>new purchases will stay with OS X as it comes from Apple.
>
>A better question is who is buying software. Most software is purchased
>by people who get new computers. This alone has kept the Windows market
>booming as most people "upgrade" Windows by buying a new computer with
>a newer version of Windows.
>
>Some people with older computers still actively buy software but I
>would guess that they are a smaller percentage. I'd bet this is still a
>large enough group to make it worthwhile.
[...]

In the UK education market, Apple users are a fairly unloved and
underfunded bunch. They will thus hang on to their older machines as long
as they can. OTOH the Government is actively encouraging (and funding) the
purchase of new educational software - so there is a definite market
opportunity there. To really cover this well, one needs MacOS pre-X, X and
Windows versions of each project, which is why I'm using RR!

Graham