-10^2

tom farrell thf at pvs.k12.nm.us
Wed May 21 17:34:00 EDT 2003

Hi Richard et al...

>   You can force a specific order of operator precedence

Yes, I understand. But I shouldn't have to use () if I want 4*2+5 to yield 13.

My apologies if this is off-topic, but I don't think -10^2 is
ambiguous. Excel gets it wrong. Appleworks gets it right.

Sadly, and based on complete ignorance alone, I assume that even if
the the authors of, eg, OpenOffice or StarOffice know that Excel gets
it wrong, they have made their products get it wrong also, for the
sake of import/export consistency.

What about Revolution?

tom

>>  The expression:
>>  -10^2
>>  should evaluate to -100, not 100, because it means "the opposite of
>>  ten squared", not "negative 10, squared".
>>
>>  But if I put the expression in the message box, it evaluates to 100.
>>  Is this done on purpose?
>
>You can force a specific order of operator precedence with parens:
>
>   -(10^2)
   tom farrell      <thf at pvs.k12.nm.us>
   pojoaque valley schools
   santa fe   nm   87501