Dial tones and converting old sounds

mark cowhead at mac.com
Wed May 21 14:43:00 EDT 2003

Jacque wrote:

> HyperCard's dial tones are just sound resources located in the
> application's resource fork. You can use a sound utility to extract
> them
> and convert them to another sound format such as .aif or .au. Then
> import them into a Revolution stack and issue the "play" command to
> play
> each sound in the dial string.

If I use soundApp (PPC) to convert these, I get something that plays
too fast, so all I can hear is a little pop.  I occasionally have had
this problem when trying to convert other old sounds as well.  I assume
I need to change the sampling rate or the bit depth or the encoding or
something for this conversion.  But there are many different settings
to choose from.  I tried a few at random, but nothing seemed to work.
Any suggestions?

mark mitchell