Best way to have Rev launch toolbarless browser?

RGould8 at aol.com RGould8 at aol.com
Wed May 14 14:37:02 EDT 2003

I've been experimenting with a number of methods to get Revolution to launch
the user's default browser to a web-site, yet hide the browser's toolbars.
(back, forward, home, etc).   I don't need Revolution to control the site
once it's launched - - - all it has to do is launch the web-site with no
toolbars visible in the browser.

This application would run off of a CD-ROM, and will not have the capability
of uploading .htm files to a server.

The only working solution I've come up with so far is to write a .htm file to
the user's hard-drive which opens, and then immediately does a window.open
command to the external site with the "toolbars=no" tag set.   Then I use
Revolution's revGoURL "file://" command to launch that dynamically-generated
.htm file.

This works, except it's risky.   I've found that I need to clear out the .htm
file's creator/filetype string, otherwise Revolution will launch TextEdit
instead of the user's web-browser.

This technique appears to work in Internet Explorer, except that it doesn't
work in Safari, which I suspect will be gaining more marketshare in the near
future.

The .htm file looks like this:   (altered tags so they wouldn't get eaten by
email readers)

[html]
[head]
[script]
function hidebars(){
window.open("http://www.apple.com","","toolbars=no");
window.close();
}
[/script]
[/head]
[body onload="hidebars()"]
[/body]
[/html]

So, this is a two-part question:

1)   Is there a better way?
2)   Any idea why browser's other than IE don't like this .htm file?

If you open this .htm file in IE, it should work for you - - - it will
immediately open www.apple.com in a new browser-window, with no toolbars.