Special Char Suggestions?

Rob Cozens rcozens at pon.net
Wed May 7 12:16:00 EDT 2003

Hi All,

I need to select a single character to be used as a database field
reference identifier in the Script Editor.

The goal is to script a Script Editor plugIn (or added menuItem) that
will pre/post process a control's script to convert SDB data
dictionary references in the form [recordType][specialKey][dataName]
to/from  "item [ordinal of field dataName in dictionary] of
recordType".  (This assumes the file buffer for any record type is
identified with the record type identifier.)

The character I select must not conflict with any Transcript
operators or reserved words, and ideally it must be available on any
keyboard.

My three primary candidates are:

                        "{" : type{name

                        "}" : type}name

                        "|" : type|name

Notes:

   This notation is local to scripts; it has nothing to do with field
or variable contents.

   The selected character cannot be used unquoted or uncommented for
any other purpose anywhere in any script containing SDB field