Image Refs in Distribution

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Mon Mar 24 15:01:01 EST 2003

**********

> From: MGreenb551 at aol.com
> Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:05:35 -0500
> Subject: Image Refs in Distribution
>
> I need to send a Rev file distribution to a friend who also has RR but on a
> different platform.
----------
I assume you mean you have made it into a Mac standalone...true?
----------
>  (I'm Win, he's Mac.)  The stack has 30 rather large
> images, so I've referenced the image objects to files off-stack.  When I burn
> a CD to send to my friend, the image objects naturally lose track of the files
> and therefore show nothing.  How can I send this stack on CD in a way that my
> friend can still view the images?
>
> Thanks, Mark Greenberg
----------
OK, assuming the thing is a Mac standalone:

Referenced images always look at the filepath contained in the filename as
it appears in the "filename" property of the images. For example, if your
standalone and images are now in the Rev folder, the full filename of an
image includes the Rev folder in its path.

What it means:

Don't burn the app file and all image files separately onto the CD.

1) Put the app and all the images into a folder and test it to see if it
still works. If it doesn't you need to get out your original development
stack, put it in the folder, and re-reference your images.

You can check the path with the "filename" property of the images.

2) Once you get it working, re-build your Win distribution standalone and
test it. Then rebuild your Mac standalone.

3) Once you as sure as you can be that the standalone is working from the
images in the same folder, make copies as necessary, then burn the _folder_
with the app and all the image files inside it, to the CD.

NOTE: If your software doesn't allow that, then create an empty folder with
the same name on the CD and drag the app and images into it, which should
burn them into the folder on the CD. It's critical that the folder on the CD
has the same name as the original.

There are other methods of calling images from external files into stacks
using the URL which I've learned lately, but try the above first.

HTH,
Ken N.