[SC] Re: Supercard vs. Rev

Chilton Webb chilton at tca.net
Sat Mar 15 22:38:01 EST 2003

Hi Geoff,

On Saturday, March 15, 2003, at 08:50  PM, Geoff Canyon wrote:

> On the Revolution mailing list, on Friday, March 14, 2003, at 06:26 AM,
> Tim Hart wrote:
>
>> So now that Supercard 4 is out.  What are your opinions?  I was
>> reading in MacWorld and they kind of made a stab at Rev for waiting so
>> long to release 2.  I have to say it is funny.  I mean what is the
>> hold up.  I don't mean to be a jerk but I don't see how they could
>> possibly miss their original announcement by 4 months of just bug
>> fixing.  What is going on?
>
> As always happens when a topic like this comes up, there was some
> lively debate, a few questions of character, and not much positive
> result. When this happened on the REALbasic list last year, I posted a
> couple pages on a wiki server with room for opinion. The result was
> actually halfway decent, so I've done the same for
> SuperCard/Revolution. The home page for discussion is at:
>
> http://wiki.macitworks.com/revdocs/revolutionAndSuperCard

The problem here is that REALBasic's users became apathetic to this
site a few days after it went live, and Revolution's users did not. The
arguments became suddenly very one-sided, and still are, to a large
degree. Furthermore (due to the nature of Wiki, I assume), entire
sections have been erased to cover up how some people feel about the
discussion.

As of right now, there is no shipping version of Revolution that is
fully compatible with Jaguar. That's the OS that I use on all of my
systems, and the OS used by all of my clients, and their users. The
betas do exist, but they are still betas. And no, expecting Mac users
using Jaguar to set Revolution's UI to use OS9's appearance, is NOT
acceptable.

Once Rev 2.0 actually ships, then this will be a valid discussion. Hey,
if it sounds like I'm being unfair, keep in mind that until SC4
actually shipped, the Rev users were saying the same things about the
SuperCard betas. I'll be glad to compare shipping products to shipping
products, on the current MacOS. It's just that doing so puts Rev in a
very unfair place.

-Chilton