Supercard vs. Rev

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Fri Mar 14 14:25:01 EST 2003

Hey, Chilton!

I haven't seen you on this list; I guess you're just lurking, eh? ;-)

> I believe it's a difference in the demands of the users.
> Because SC has
> been around so long, if SC4 shipped with *any* major bugs, it
> would be
> seen a major failure on the part of the SuperCard team, so the
> development cycle for this version was considerably longer
> than I think
> anyone hoped it would be. But the finished product was worth the wait.

Since nothing had been heard from SC in the public arena after
Allegiant's demise (if I remember correctly), it was also very important
for media coverage that the next major upgrade be pretty bug free. This
is most likely why Rev 2.0 has been taking so long as well; 1.1.1 was
the last version to be covered in the media, and knowing that 2.0 is a
next major upgrade, it is important to make sure all the major bugs are
squashed.

> SC's installed user base is not as tolerant of the development team's
> mistakes as users are on this list.

That's what I like about the users on this list; they are more forgiving
than most. I know dozens of SC users who "jumped ship" earlier than I
would have expected in the early 3.x days because of Allegiant's failed
Windows promises... I was working for Allegiant at the time, so I had
first hand experience. Of course, this was the marketing team and not
the development team, so I guess it's a bit different...

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com
Web Site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/