Menu manager/switch problem

Ken Norris pixelbird at interisland.net
Tue Mar 11 19:54:01 EST 2003

**********
> Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:44:43 -0800
> Subject: Re: Multiple background group hierarchy (was Goofy button
> behavior)
> From: Richard Gaskin <ambassador at fourthworld.com>

> I think the "case" approach may give you a useful mix of some common
> functionality and some shared functionality, with the extra benefit of
> keeping your code tidily in one place. :)
>
>> ----------
>>> I'm picturing something like this, in the stack script:
>>>
>>> on mouseUp
>>> switch the short name of the owner of the target -- the group name
>>> case "GroupName1"
>>> DoSomething
>>> break
>>> case "GroupName2"
>>> DoSomethingElse
>>> break
>>> end switch
>>> end mouseUp
----------
I went back to the "Hello World" tutorial to check on the "switch" command
set in the Help menu, which looks like this (when you finish altering it):

on menuPick pWhich
  switch pWhich
  case "Help"
  answer "You really need help with this?"
    break
  case "About"
  answer "Hello World, written by me!"
    break
  end switch
end menuPick

What I discovered is that the Menu manager failed to set up the Help menu
with the switch commands properly. I went through it twice to be sure and
the Help menu should have 2 items, i.e., "Help" and "About"...but it
doesn't.

Instead, the Help menu has 3 items: "About Baloon Help...", "Show Baloons",
and "Help"

The "About Baloon Help..." and "Show Baloons" are the normal Mac items in
that menu, which also show in the Rev IDE menu. The plain "About" item which
the Menu Manager says is supposed to be there is NOT THERE...

And so, the only menu item which works according to the script (see above)
written through the Menu Manager is the "Help" item, which throws the proper
answer dialog. But the "About" item is missing altogether.

What's going on? Has this been discussed before? (not sure what to search on
in the archives for it).

TIA,
Ken N.