Saving data stacks

Sarah sarahr at genesearch.com.au
Tue Mar 11 01:14:01 EST 2003

I normally build standalones with separate sub-stacks so my data can be
saved in the stacks rather than having to mess around with separate
files. The sub-stacks appear in a folder inside my application folder
and being a Mac user, I just throw the whole thing into my Application
folder and it works fine.

 From some recent posts, I gather that if I did the equivalent on a
Windows system, there is a chance (depending on who is logged in) that
the Applications (or equivalent) folder would be write-protected. That
being so, I would rather store my sub-stacks in the Documents folder,
but how will my standalone know where to find them?

The only idea I have been able to come up with is to have all the
stacks built into the main app and when I need to save one, clone it
and then use the the specialFolderPath function to locate the Documents
folder and save there. Then I would be left with a lot of messy stack
addressing issues which I think can be solved by adding the path of the
data stack to "the stackFiles".

It all seems like a lot of trouble to have to go to. Maybe I would be
better telling people to install into the Documents folder? Anyone else
got any suggestions?

Cheers,
Sarah