Read From locked files under WinNT

R. Hillen mail at richard-hillen.de
Mon Mar 10 15:48:01 EST 2003

Hello,

I wrote a minimal program to read textfiles: "answer file, open file,
read from file, put it into fld xxx, close file" and made a standalone
for Windows using RunRev 1.1.1 on MacOSX.

On two WindowsComputer (WinNT, Win2000) I had a simple TextFile to test
it and it all was ok: the data were read!

Next I tried to read a text file, which was locked, as it came from a
measurement-system by floppy (write protected, as I learned from the
file-properties) and got the message, that the file couldnt be read.
I unlocked the file and the file could be read again.

But why?

On both machines we use a Sandbox-Program, "Surfin Shield", which said
in Admin-Mode" The program tries to write to the registry. This is  not
allowed!"

So I wonder, why such a simple programm wants to write to the registry?

Any Ideas?

Thanx in advance!

Richard Hillen