imageSource and "binfile:"

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sat Jun 28 12:39:00 EDT 2003

On 6/28/03 10:13 AM, Jim Hurley wrote:

> Apparently there are some conditions in its application that I am
> missing. Every time I try:
>
>   answer file "Choose an image:"
>   set the imagesource of char 1 of fld 1 to ("binfile:"&it)
>
> my computer either locks up, forcing a restart, or RR itself quits. I
> have set the fixedLineHeight to false. What am I missing--what
> conditions must apply to the character and/or the image?

Hmm. Not sure. The image, of course, has to be in a format that RR can
read (jpg and gif are most common). Maybe the image you are choosing is
too large, in terms of bytes? I'm not aware of any size restrictions per
se, but if you are trying to load a huge image it might monopolize
memory somehow. Usually the images I load are very small, like little
bullet pictures or small arrows. Most are only a few kilobytes or less.
What happens if you choose a very small image?

In the test I did, I just created a new field in a new stack and put a
few characters of text into it. I didn't change any of the field
properties. Then I used the script above to set the first character's
imagedata. Did you try it with a new field?

The fixedlineheight doesn't seem to matter. In my test, the field
originally had fixedLineHeight set to true but the image got chopped off
at the top. So I set it to false and the image became fully visible. So
that part seems to work either way.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com