putting a relative large amount of data into a field

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Wed Jun 25 09:35:01 EDT 2003

On Wednesday, June 25, 2003, at 04:34 AM, wouter wrote:

> If a "relative" large amount of data contained in a variable is put
> into a field, the field doesn't show all the data although it seems to
> be present.

The length of a line in a field is limited to about 64K.  Check the
length of b and see if you hit that limit.  On my system the limit
seems to be 65,533.  I think the limit still holds even with wrap
enabled.  (I didn't run your handlers.)

If you are thinking of putting binary data into the field, you might
run into trouble.  A null in the data will make probably make it so you
can't get your data back.

If you are thinking of text, then think of this as your paragraph
limit.  (Unless you do something special.)

If you are thinking of tabular text data, then you simply put line ends
in at appropriate places.

Dar Scott