Launching WinXP applications

Robert J. Earp bob at ashford.ca
Tue Jun 24 03:43:00 EDT 2003

I need to allow users to open a number of types of documents/media etc.
from within a stack.  That is, have the native application, such as Word,
Acrobat, Excel (and others) launch and then open the appropriate data
file.  And I need this to happen on whatever Win machine the stack is
running on.

Launch does not seem to work within WinXP as it doesn't seem to know where
the apps are located.  I have the feeling I should be using the
queryRegistry command to locate the full path of the app, but my problem is
I don't know enough about the Registry to be able to find the appropriate
entries to query.

Also, should I be checking for an app already being open ? That is, am I
going to risk having many copies of the same app open at the same time
?  If so, any ideas how to do this ?

Can anybody help please ??

Many thanks, Bob...

Robert J. Earp - Ashford Training Technologies
18059 21A Avenue, South Surrey, British Columbia, Canada.  V3S 9V7
T:(604) 541 1662  Cel: (604) 612 6688 Fx: (604) 541 1686