File Corruption

Howard Bornstein bornstein at designeq.com
Mon Jun 23 12:32:00 EDT 2003

>File corruption means something wasn't written to disk properly.

I want to suggest that there are other ways a Rev project can get
corrupted. I believe the IDE itself may at times jumble things. The
problem is not that they get scrambled *while* being written to disk.
They can get scrambled during normal operations of the IDE. Then, when
the project is saved, the scrambled data is saved along with it.

I've had this happen to me quite a few times since Rev 1.0. For example,
I had a button that simple went to another card. The button code was
simple, and the open card code was simple. Nothing esoteric or strange,
and I didn't change it between the time it worked and the time it didn't.
Suddenly, every time I went to that card, I'd get a hard crash. Had to
reboot my system (Mac OS 9). If I built a standalone, it would crash upon
going to the card, in both Mac and Windows.

So what happened here? Was it the code? I don't think so. My solution was
to clone the card that was crashing, delete the original, and all was
well. Same code, no crash.

I'm guessing (please provide another explaination, because I'd really
like to understand this) that Rev got something screwed up internally in
reference to this card. However, when the card was cloned, it sort of
started over and put things back in order.

I consider a case like this "corruption". It just didn't happen during a
disk write.

As I said, I've had quite a few cases like this with Rev over the past
couple of years.

Regards,

Howard Bornstein