baseConvert() & 32-bit ops

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Mon Jun 23 13:53:00 EDT 2003

On Monday, June 23, 2003, at 12:19 PM, Mark Brownell wrote:

> the -1 is in regards to the bitAnd part of the f function's S-boxes.
>
>>>     f = S1[a] + S2[b]
>>>     f = bitXor( f , S3[c] )
>>>     f = bitAnd( f + S4[d], -1 )

Yeah, replace that last bitAnd with a mod 2^32.

> I'm tempted to get that highly recommended book that you referenced.

You will see that my final one line for above turns out to read just
like the line in the book.

If you have a reference you prefer, I'm willing to let you buy me a
copy of that!  But if you don't do that and you can afford it, get
Schneier.  It will help in clarifying your thoughts and in
communicating with people like me.  It covers Blowfish, block ciphers
in general, and Freistel networks in general.  It even has C code for
Blowfish.

Dar Scott