Testing for QT effects on Windows systems

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Mon Jun 23 10:30:00 EDT 2003

I develop only on Mac OSX for all systems and have no easy access to
windows machines and am a bit of a newbie on cross platform media
playing issues...

I have a presentation that one Windows user says "it asked me for QT
effects"

This was unexpected because I thought I had used no effects that
required quicktime...
  later I discovered a "cross fade" lurking that I had tested and not
removed.

But, meanwhile I had queried this user about his system and he says

"It works fine for me on Windows 98 Second Edition, except that it
wanted to install Quicktime.
It wanted to install "Quicktime Effects"
(I don't use quicktime at all, other than the codec for playing movies
and audio.).[but]
I use Windows Media Player Classic (http://www.gabest.org) for playing
audio and video.
"I use Quicktime to play movies and sound if it required, but I don't
have it installed."

This leads one to ask:

1) Assuming one uses (in my case) only "dissolve" and "wipe" throughout
the presentation... (I will eliminate the "cross fade") will Windows
users still get a demand to install QT if one has not set the
"dontUseQTEffects" to true? Or, was my single instance of "cross fade"
the cause for this?

2) Obviously querying the platform first makes the best sense... so, if
QTeffect is not installed on a windows system will

put QTeffects()

just return empty on a system that does not have QT installed?

If so, then one assumes this will be the optimum thing to do, to trap
for this problem...

if (QTeffects()="") then set the dontUseQTEffects to true

But then is this really necessary if only built in Rev visual effects
are used?

3) And does this mean that a windows user with Windows Media Player
Classic who has the Quicktime codex installed can in fact run any Rev
player (sound or movie)?

tia

Sannyasin Sivakatirswami
Himalayan Academy Publications