Opening Files in OS X

Jim Biancolo webmaster at listology.com
Fri Jun 20 14:19:00 EDT 2003

Thanks again Monte, I've done the reading, and I have a follow-up question,
if you don't mind (or if anyone else has advice on this).

My understanding is that Mac OSes use fileType to determine if a file
"belongs" to an application.  Furthermore, it seems that the OS prevents my
app from opening files that don't belong to it (judging from the docs and
the way my app is currently behaving).  So what I need to do is set the
fileType when my app saves a file, and then the app will be able to reopen
that file later.

Is that right?  If so, what happens if a Windows user of my app creates a
file and tries to share it with a Mac user of my app?  The docs suggest
that Windows ignores fileType, so will the Mac user be prevented from
opening files created by Windows users?

These files are just text files that have a *.upf extension in Windows.

Thanks!

Jim

-------
http://www.biancolo.com