revCopyFile : compiler error

Romain Lafourcade lafourcade.romain at numericable.fr
Fri Jun 20 12:43:01 EDT 2003

>revCopyFile uses an Applescript and as I found to my cost, there are
>many undocumented changes between the AppleScript of OS 9 and that of
>OS X :-(

>If the files are small enough to fit into memory, you could try using
>get URL and then put URL to re-save into the new location. if the files
>are too big, you could still use open/close, read & write commands to
>copy the file yourself.

>Alternatively, find the AppleScript that revCopyFile uses, test it in
>the AppleScript Script Editor and put it back into your stack for use
>with OS 9.

Hum, it seems there's a problem somewhere.

I know nothing to Applescript but I've looked at the AppleScript Language
Reference and found no relevent info.

Here is my script, it is almost the same as in the Docs :

on mouseUp
  revCopyFile "/Eddie Henderson/Desktop Folder/File","/Eddie
Henderson/Documents/"
  put the result into fld "Resultat"
end mouseUp

... and the result is "execution error".

I wanted to know if for some reason the file wasn't understood well by Rev
so I tried this other script (found on the revCopyFile page in the docs)
with the same file :

on mouseUp
  Put URL "file:/Eddie Henderson/Desktop Folder/File" into URL "file:/Eddie
Henderson/Documents/File"
  put the result into fld "Resultat"
end mouseUp

This one works good (no result, the file is copied) but my machine makes the
machine gun noise that mean "Heavy CPU usage". It's not a good sign since
the user is supposed to copy screen wide images...

Did anyone succesfully used this revCopyFile command ?

Romain (PPC 8600 or G4 / Mac OS 9 / Rev 1.1.1)