record sound problems

Dan Soneson sonesond1 at southernct.edu
Sat Jun 7 09:11:01 EDT 2003

> Has anyone found the solution to the recording problems that surface in
> standalone app on
> OSX? The sound recording works just fine within Revolution, but it
> seems no matter what compression
> scheme, sample size etc. I try, when I have made a standalone the kind
> of recording I get
> is a truncated file with an occasional repeat. It is like the symptom
> described about a year ago
> where you might say "1..2..3..4..5" and the file that is generated
> sounds like "3..4..5..1"
>
> While looking through the archives there were several suggestions, from
> recommending QT Pro to
> recording everything at best quality and then compressing afterward. I
> have tried several compression
> schemes, from IMA4 to Qualcomm voice to None, but the problem still
> persists. I am trying to build a
> voice recorder for foreign language learning, but I am not able to rely
> on an accurate recording.
>
> Any suggestions?

More information:

I have built a standalone on a G4 450Mhz Mac in OS 9.2 with Rev 1.1.1.
QuickTime 5.0.2 (Pro version) is installed on this machine. Everything
seems to work fine here, both in the development environment and in a
standalone.

The same file on my PowerBook G4 500 Mhz in OSX 10.2.6 (QuickTime 6.2
non-Pro version) works like a charm in the development environment, but
when I build a distribution and attempt to record speech, the recording
gets truncated and jumbled up. Is this an OSX problem, a QuickTime
problem, or a Rev problem?  Does anyone have a workaround or a
suggestion for getting OSX to record properly in a standalone?

Failing that, is the only option to install the Revolution free edition
on every machine I want to record on and run the recorder within the
development environment?

Thanks,
Dan

Daniel B. Soneson