Using Superscript and Subscript in Fields

Paul Charlesworth pcharles at chartermi.net
Fri Jun 6 23:14:01 EDT 2003

Thanks for posting the application, but it didn't seem to work on my
PowerBook with RR-2 and led to repeated force-quits even when I made a
build, I am not sure what is wrong at this point.

What I have found so far with messing is that to create the electron
configurations I would need to code something like this:

2</sup></small> and so on,

The space before the 2 in "<sup> 2</sup>" is needed to prevent the
italicized "s" from interfering with the superscripted number. I then
write it in to the field as described in the dictionary using the set
htmltext command. It looks great, but I will probably need a large
bottle of something if I have to code 100 elements in this manner. It
can be done with a lot of copying and pasting, but the scope for error
is huge. The interesting thing is that once you have been through one
period, then it is just a matter of duplicating the period and
adjusting the numbers:

2</sup></small> and so on,

I might try and adapt Jim's scripts, but it would take me longer than
just coding them by hand, even though it would be a good learning
exercise. What I think the script needs to do is:

1. Look for the letters s, p, d, f, g, or h that follow a number,
select that letter and enclose it in <i></i>. I assume this needs some
kind of search and replace loop until all are done.

2. look for a number that immediately follows the s, p, d, f, g, or h
and select that number. The number would then need to have a space
placed in front of it and the two enclosed with

The problem is preventing the search and replace from picking up the
next number which should remain as normal text.  1s^2 2s^2 2p^6 and so
on. By placing a space between each subshell configuration I think it
would work.

Now I just need to figure it out.  I actually wonder if an applescript
would work? How hard can it be to learn two separate languages in one
weekend?

Paul