mouse function problem

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Fri Jun 6 09:46:01 EDT 2003

>Message: 10
>Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 20:42:30 -0700
>Subject: mouse function problem
>From: David Beck <davethebrv at mac.com>
>To: <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>

>Hey,
>
>I'm a happy user of Rev 1.1.1, but I found a problem with the mouse function
>which I am having trouble working around. It seems that in certain instances
>the mouse funciton gets stuck returning "down" when the mouse is actually
>up. This seems to only be a problem on Mac OS X. It is reproducable. It
>consistently happens after I click the menubar while the previous menuchoice
>handler is still executing. Then the mouse function is stuck returning
>"down", even though I am not pressing the mouse button, until I click again
>and it resets itself or whatever.
>
>This is a problem for me. I am having trouble finding a work around.

Dave,

This is a long-standing bug in the engine which is unlikely to be
fixed--perhaps to force users to adopt a solution which is more CPU
friendly than polling the mouse--actually to poll the mouseMove
rather than the mouse up or down.

You should consult the following RunRev site:
http://www.runrev.com/revolution/developers/articles/tipoftheweek/3.html

The solution you need will be found there. The work around script is:

local lMouseDown

on mouseDown
   put true into lMouseDown
end mouseDown

on mouseMove x,y
   if lMouseDown then set the loc of me to x,y
end mouseMove

on mouseUp
   put false into lMouseDown
end mouseUp